Women Students’ Charter of Demands
With the AMU Students Union Election of 2011 we can witness the history in making. Since the first elections held in 1920, the present AMU Students Union election has made a giant leap on women emancipation in the campus politics by including the students of Women’s College. Today women students bear a greater responsibility to select the right candidates so that their ignored issues hitherto shall be fought with greater vigour.
Equality in Education:
1. Free and equal access to AMU’s resources: Authorities should not discourage women students to avail the facilities of the University.
2. Living/residential spaces to women residents in hostels should be increased. There has been great discrepancy between the spaces available to boy and girl students. UGC Grant to AMU of Rs. 8 Crore for Girls Hostel should immediately be utilized.
3. More reading rooms in the Women’s hostels and more reading spaces for women students in Maulana Azad Library.
4. Women’s Common Rooms and toilets in every department.
Equal facilities of sports in the University and for out- of University sporting events.
Equality of opportunities to attend National/Inter-university youth conferences, events, tournaments.
Make AMU safer for women:
5. Stringent mechanism to deal with sexual harassment of women students in the campus.
Ensure proper functioning of Women’s Cell/ Complaints Committee in the campus like in other Central Universities where complaints on harassments of girls are dealt seriously.
7. Women’s cell should be constituted & guided by proper rules and guidelines.
AMU should make public the rules and guidelines of the Women’s Cell. Women’s Cell should notify, publish and circulate/ express prohibition of sexual harassment.
Womens Cell should put to wide publicity its contact details about office and the contact numbers of the functionaries so that immediate complaint could be made.
Registrar & Proctor should not be part of Women’s Cell in AMU as they protect those powerful persons who are accused of Sexual Harassment.
8. Cell should not function in private and should make its decisions public. The present Women’s Cell is ineffective and girls are made consciously unaware of its presence so that in case of any unfortunate case of sexual harassment they can’t take the official route.
9. Student’s elected representative in Women’s Cell. The present Women’s Cell has no student representative to make it ineffective and to protect accused people.
Address Immediately the Problems faced by Abdullah Hall/Women’s College Students:
The non-professional undergraduate students of the campus face worst discrimination and violation of their fundamental rights. It is sad that there is total indifference to their plight in the campus even though they constitute the majority of women students in the campus.
Women’s College students should have access to:
Maulana Azad Library of AMU.
1 General Education Centre of AMU.
1 Students should be allowed to attend workshops, seminars/ conferences in the University campus.
These are basic to Equal Opportunities in Education. The situation at present is gross violation of Fundamental Right to Equality guaranteed by Constitution.
Know your rights and claim a future you deserve. Its the time to make right choice with your vote.
ABU AFFAN FAROOQUEE, BAllb( Final)
For Presidentship, AMUSU